Welcome to Year 3
The Year 3 Team 2017-18
What is happening this week?
9th July 2018
- English: Explanation texts. Designing an imaginary chocolate making machine, worthy of Willy Wonka, and explaining how it works.
- Maths: Mass and capacity - using and calculating with standard measures
- Times Tables: We have challenged Year 4 to a Battle of the Bands. The year group that gains the most points on TT Rockstars will be the champions!
- Topic: Chocolate - designing the packaging for our chocolate lollies
- Spelling: words with the 'al' suffix (such as natural or occasional)
- PE: This week we will be taking part in the house cross country and athletics competitions. The results of these events will go towards the overall Sports Day results. Please ensure that your child has PE shorts, their house T-shirt and a pair of trainers at school this week. Swimming lessons have now finished for the year. If your child was taking part in the swimming lessons this term, they should have a badge slip in their bag in recognition of their achievements.
Homework is due in on Monday.
The children should all have home reading books, which should be read for 10 minutes each evening. Please support them in reading as often as possible.
Each week children will be set spelling homework on a Tuesday, which should be returned the following Monday.
Maths homework will be set on alternate weeks. This is also to be returned on the following Monday. In the weeks where the children do not have maths homework in their folders, they are expected to spend at least 10 minutes using Times Tables Rockstars. Their log in details are in the front of their reading records. They can log in here. If you are accessing Rockstars on a phone or tablet, the app should now work.
The curriculum overview for Year 3 can be found HERE
The progression in calculations document and videos can be seen HERE
A pack to help children learn their times tables can be found HERE
20th July: End of Term 2pm
Library is every Wednesday. Your child is now entitled to two books each week. Please ensure they have their library books on this day if they wish to change them.
PE takes place every Monday and alternate Thursdays. We expect your child to have their PE kits in school on these days including a named planet t-shirt, shorts, trainers, plimsolls and jogging bottoms. If your child is going swimming instead of doing PE on a Monday starting on Monday15th January they will require a costume/trunks, towel and goggles.
Across KS2 the focus is on the key skills of learning your times tables. Your child will be expected use the Rock Stars website for a minimum of 15 minutes (this will be introduced to them on Friday 8th September) in the first full week back, and every other week after that. In the intervening weeks, your child will have a times tables activity which will be set on a Tuesday (in their homework / spelling folder) to hand in the following Monday.
Spelling homework will be set on a Tuesday and needs to be handed in the following Monday.Your child should learn the spellings using the look, say, cover, write, check technique. They should then use their spellings in a sentence to allow them to practice in context. Your child will have a half termly test on a range of the spelling given out to check they have embedded the spellings.
We would also like all children to read daily at home, which should include reading to an adult. Please encourage your child to read fluently, with expression and ask questions to aid their understanding. Please ensure your child has their reading record and book in school every day.
Children in Year 3 are expected to change their reading books, as they need to, first thing when they enter the classroom in the morning.
‘Talk’ homework will be set occasionally in preparation for our Big Write which would take place the next day. Please spend 10 minutes discussing the task with your child. It is not necessary to record anything.